Goodyear, Arizona, in Maricopa county, is 12 miles SW of Glendale, Arizona and 16 miles W of Phoenix, Arizona. The city is conveniently located inside the Phoenix metropolitan area.
Goodyear was a originally a part of the 16,000-acre land plot that Paul Litchfield, a junior executive of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, purchased in 1917. The land was used to produce cotton that was in turn used for manufacturing rubber airplanes tires. The area was originally known as Egypt, as Egyptian cotton was grown here. It was renamed Goodyear and incorporated in 1946.